The Harbor (the youth ministry of FPCOS) exists to develop a community of students growing in discipleship of Jesus Christ through unconditional love, in relationship with one another and the church and in service to others, equipped to serve in the world.
How Do We Accomplish Our Mission?
- DISCIPLESHIP-ORIENTED: Our goal is to see our young people become mature Christians rooted and grounded in grace, not merely to facilitate large numbers of participants or to sponsor high-profile events. Our approach is people-based, rather than program-based, and our desire is to cultivate a faith that will survive and thrive in the world beyond our walls.
- BIBLICALLY BASED: We want to establish an awareness and understanding for the means of grace in our students. Thus, we encourage an appreciation and fervency for the Bible, the right participation in the sacraments, and a life of prayer as the normal way God brings about growth in the Christian life.
- RELATIONALLY: Our goal is that through personal contact – in small groups and elsewhere – we can effectively disciple students by promoting friendships between staff, volunteers and students and providing opportunities to serve others in our community and in the world.
- PARENTALLY: Our goal is not to replace parental discipleship, nor usurp it, but to assist, encourage and supplement healthy family Christian nurture. The best “youth minister” in the world is two godly parents fostering the faith of their children in the home, church and school. We aim to help that, not replace it.
We have a very active youth ministry here at First Pres. Weekly, monthly and annual activities give our youth many opportunities to fellowship with one another and grow in their faith.
- YOUTH GROUP: Weekly Youth Group meetings where Jr. High (6th – 8th) and High School (9th – 12th) meet separately in an attempt to teach, grow and interact at a level that is appropriate to each student’s age and maturity.
- SMALL GROUPS: Small groups for both boys and girls are held on Sundays and Mondays to foster deeper relationships, to delve into the Bible and to be in prayer for one another.
- OTHER ACTIVITIES: Most activities occur with the entire youth group together (6th – 12th) to build camaraderie among all ages in the entire group.
Click on the tabs below to see an overview of activities our youth are involved in at First Presbyterian Church of Ocean Springs.
Jr. High Youth Group (6th-8th) – Wednesdays 5:30 – 7:00 PM at the Harbor House (far west building on FPCOS campus)
High School Youth Group (9th-12th) – Wednesdays 7:15 – 9:00 PM at the Harbor House (far west building on FPCOS campus)
Compassionistas (High School Girls) – Sundays 4:00 – 6:00 PM at the home of the Dents
Girls of Grace (Jr. High Girls) – Sundays 4:00 – 6:00 PM at the home of the Neffs
Group Name TBD (High School Boys) – Mondays 6:30 – 8:30 PM at the Harbor House
Tribe of Disciples (Jr. High Boys) – Sundays 4:00 – 6:00 PM at the Harbor House
Sunday School – 10:00 – 10:45 AM at the Harbor House (far west building on FPCOS campus)
Boys’ Game Night – One Saturday a month, all boys are invited to the Harbor House from 6:00 – 9:00 PM for an evening of video games, pizza and fun.
Girls’ Night Out – One Saturday a month, all girls will dine out together at a local restaurant from 6:00 – 8:00 PM.
The Great Escape – Each summer, Jr. High (6th – 8th) goes on a week-long retreat at Twin Lakes Camp in Florence, MS. A student must have completed 6th grade to attend.
RYM – Each summer, High School (9th – 12th) travels to Panama City Beach, FL to attend RYM at Laguna Beach Christian Retreat. A student must have completed 9th grade to attend this week-long conference.
Belize Mission Trip – Every summer, FPCOS travels to Belize on a mission trip. It is an opportunity for High School students (and Jr. High who are accompanied by an adult) to use their talents and spiritual gifts to bless others and serve the Lord in a cross-cultural setting.